Wider Worship: Explore Folk Rock
Welcome a special monthly edition of Worship Wednesday! Contrary to what Christian radio might make you think, there’s a wide variety of worship music out there, in every genre imaginable. Our worship team and staff have put their music-loving heads together to come up with a series of posts featuring a new genre of worship music every month! See one of your favorite musicians in RIYL (Recommended If You Like)? Recognize a favorite song from Sunday mornings? Check out a new band! We hope something strikes your fancy and injects your everyday music listening with a little more worship.
This month, let’s explore…
Rend Collective makes you feel like you’re sitting around the campfire, singing worship songs with your friends and family. This Irish band is passionate about Christ and making joyful, true, and accessible worship music.
- RIYL: Mumford & Sons, The Lumineers
- Songs We’ve Sung: “More Than Conquerors,” “Praise Like Fireworks,” “Joy”
John Mark McMillan does not shy away from singing about the more challenging aspects of faith, using his music as a form of prayer. His lyrics are complex and not what you might expect to hear in a typical worship song, but sometimes that’s just what we need.
- RIYL: Mumford & Sons (especially their newer stuff), Snow Patrol, Bruce Springsteen
- Songs We’ve Sung: “Death in His Grave,” “How He Loves”
- Laura Suggests: “Wilderlove,” “Love at the End”
Michael Ketterer is a worship leader from Tennessee and part of worship band United Pursuit – we’ve used their song, “Head to the Heart,” in our worship, and while they tend to produce big, bold, passionate worship anthems, Ketterer’s music is more intimate but no less powerful.
- RIYL: United Pursuit, Coldplay, The Head and the Heart
- Laura Suggests: “The Wild Inside” album is themed around our tendency to run wild, away from Christ, and calls us to have childlike faith and trust in Him. Check out “For Freedom,” “Shine,” and “Pressing On.”
Got a related band or favorite song to recommend? Share in the comments!