Wider Worship: Explore Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B
Welcome a special monthly edition of Worship Wednesday! Contrary to what Christian radio might make you think, there’s a wide variety of worship music out there, in every genre imaginable. Our worship team and staff have put their music-loving heads together to come up with a series of posts featuring a new genre of worship music every month! See one of your favorite musicians in RIYL (Recommended If You Like)? Recognize a favorite song from Sunday mornings? Check out a new band! We hope something strikes your fancy and injects your everyday music listening with a little more worship.
This month, let’s explore…
Lecrae is probably one of the best-known Christian hip-hop artists, thanks to his many awards: he’s won a boatload of Dove Awards, two Grammies, and the BET Award for Best Gospel Artist, making him the first rapper to win that category. He’s also active in outreach, creating campaigns promoting healthy fatherhood and speaking out against racism.
- RIYL: gospel hip-hop with Southern and reggae influences
- Laura Suggests: “Messengers,” “Welcome to America,” “Nuthin”
Eden Myrrh competed on The Voice South Africa (check out her audition with Sia’s “Chandelier”) and made it all the way to the finale. The songs on her EP, available on SoundCloud, address filtering out the voices in our lives and living in the love of the Lord.
- RIYL: Kimbra, Janelle Monae, light and danceable beats
- Laura Suggests: “Like A Crown,” “Secrets,” “Lost In You”
Andy Mineo is another popular artist with Christian hip-hop label Reach, with chart-topping albums like “Uncomfortable” and a big social media presence. He even directs some of his own music videos!
- RIYL: trap-influenced hip-hop with lyrics tackling sin, what it means to be successful, and grace: “What I try to do in my music is show my own frailty, my own weakness and the hope that I find in Jesus, ultimately.”
- Christie Suggests: “You Can’t Stop Me,” “Neverland”
Tedashii is part of larger hip-hop group Clique 116 and has four solo albums with the Reach label. He dealt with the loss of his infant son in 2013, but returned to recording and touring with the goal of bringing more people the hope and healing he personally experienced.
- RIYL: electronica-influenced rap with complex rhythms and melodies
- Laura Suggests: “Free,” “I Get It,” “Jumped Out The Whip”